Title: Economic Integration in the Western Hemisphere
Published in: Proceedings Issues
Editors: Valdes, C., and T. Roe, eds.
Meeting Date: June 1995
Meeting Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Publication Details: IATRC Proceedings Issue
Economic Integration in the Western Hemisphere
Constanza Valdés and Terry Roe, eds., April 1997
This volume includes proceedings from an IATRC symposium, held June 7-9, 1995 in San José, Costa Rica. The purpose of the conference was to provide a better understanding of the hurdles to, and likely impacts of, trade agreements among Western Hemisphere countries. From a historical perspective, countries in the hemisphere are engaging in massive realignments of their trade regimes as evidenced by the Uruguay Round Agreement. The conclusion of the North American Free Trade Agreement and, importantly, the fundamental economic reforms undertaken by many Latin American countries. Many countries in the region view economic integration as an important step towards global competition, and a priority within the framework of market-oriented reforms. Most of the conference papers focus on agriculture since it is an imported traded goods sector in most of these economies, and since agriculture was a major hurdle to concluding the Uruguay Round and NAFTA.
- Front Materials
- Agricultural, Environmental and Health Research in a Global Environment
Ruttan, Vernon W.
- Agricultural Trade and Economic Integration in the Western Hemisphere: Current Status
Valdes, Constanza; Wainio, John; Gehlhar, Mark
- Analysis for Western Hemisphere Integration
Aldrich, Lorna M
- The Andean System of Price Bands
- Emerging Policy Issues and Research Priorities on Western Hemisphere Integration
Hedley, Douglas D.
- The Impacts of MERCOSUR on Brazil
Brandao, Antonio Salazar; Lopes, Mauro de Rezende; Pereira, Lia Valls
- Joining an Existing Regional Trade Agreement: Issues and Policies from the Perspective of a Small Open Economy in Latin America
- Learning to Make the Markets Work in a Newly Opened Economy: The Mexican Experience
- Lessons Learned From the NAFTA: A U.S. Perspective
- Patterns of Chilean Agricultural Trade in the Context of NAFTA and MERCOSUR
- Regionalism versus Multilateralism in the World Trading System
- The Social Challenge of the New Economic Era in Latin America
- Structural Adjustment, Integration and Agricultural Policy Reform: Lessons from Jamaica’s Agricultural Sector
Deep Ford, J.R.; Josling, Timothy
- Western Hemisphere Integration: Trade Policy Reform and Environmental Policy Harmonization
Gray, Denice; Krissoff, Barry; Tsigas, Marinos