Title: The Environment, Government Policies, and International Trade: A Proceedings
Published in: Proceedings Issues
Editors: Shane, M.D., and H. von Witzke, eds.
Meeting Date: December 1990
Meeting Location: San Diego, CA
Publication Details: Agriculture and Trade Analysis Division, Economic Research Service, USDA Staff Report #AGES9314
The Environment, Government Policies, and International Trade: A Proceedings
Mathew D. Shane and Harald von Witzke, eds., September, 1993
This volume contains the main papers presented at an IATRC annual meeting. The theme day focused on Public Goods in International Trade, Food Quality and Environmental Regulation. It was held December 16-18, 1990 in San Diego, CA. The environment and how government policies relate to the environment, are increasingly important issues for trade economists. The suggestion made throughout this volume is that the environment under which agriculture operates physically, legally, and institutionally plays a profound role in determining emerging trade patterns. Major efforts are underway to change the rules of international trade under multilateral and bilateral trade negotiations. The outcome of these negotiations will substantially alter the structure of trade in years to come.
- Front Materials
- Are There Lessons from the Polish Agricultural Reform that Are Applicable to the Soviet Union?
- Common Agricultural Policy Rebalancing: The Basis for Possible Agreement
Gleckler, James; Tweeten, Luther
- The Conflict Between Trade Policy and Environmental Policy in Agriculture
Vasavada, Utpal; Saint-Louis, Robert; Debailleul, Guy
- A Constitutional Political Economy Perspective on International Trade
- Effects of Domestic Environmental Policy on Patterns of International Trade
Tobey, James A.
- Endogenizing Government Behavior
Marchant, Mary A.; McCalla, Alex F.
- Global Grain Stocks and World Market Stability Revisited
Martinez, Stephen; Sharples, Jerry
- The Governance of Agricultural Trade: Perspectives from the 1940’s
Skully, David W.
- The Growing Demand for Food Quality: Implications for International Trade
Kinsey, Jean D.; Houck, James P.
- Increased Protection in the 1980’s: Exchange Rates and Institutions
Stallings, David A.
- International Public Goods, Export Subsidies, and the Harmonization of Environmental Regulations
Runge, C. Ford
- Of Models and Measures: Some Thoughts on the Use and Abuse of Policy Indicators
- Potential Impact on World Agricultural Markets of Policy Reform in Central and Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union
Koopman, Robert B.
- Public Goods, the Environment, and International Trade
Shane, Mathew; von Witzke, Harald