Title: Understanding Administered Barriers to Trade
Published in: Proceedings Issues
Editors: Orden, D., and D. Roberts, eds.
Meeting Date: December 1995
Meeting Location: Tucson, AZ
Publication Details: IATRC Proceedings Issue
Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade
David Orden and Donna Roberts, eds., January, 1997
This volume contains the main papers presented at an IATRC annual meeting. The theme day focused on Understanding Technical Barriers to Trade, and was held December 14-16, 1995 in Tucson, AZ. Technical barriers affecting agriculture are emerging at the center of international commercial disputes with increased frequency. These barriers includes sanitary and phytosanitary regulations and other measures which establish rules for quality, packaging, labeling, standards of identity, and conformity assessment. Their new prominence is due in part to growing worldwide demand for enhanced food safety, and for an environment that is protected from pests and diseases. Expanded international trade in processed food products, on which technical regulations are often applied, also contributes to their heightened visibility. Moreover, the recent Agreement on Agriculture of he World Trade Organization, has increased the relative, and perhaps the absolute, importance of technical barriers by reducing tariffs and disciplining nontariff quantitative limits on agricultural trade.
- Front Materials
- Determinants of Technical Barriers to Trade: The Case of US Phytosanitary Restrictions on Mexican Avocados, 1972-1995
Roberts, Donna; Orden, David
- End-Use Certificates for Wheat: Trade-Distorting Administrative Barriers?
Gray, Richard; Buckingham, Donald E.
- Impact of WTO on CODEX Alimentarius and Its Implications for World Trade
Dawson, Richard J.
- Implementation of the World Trade Organization’s Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures: The U.S. Perspective
- Implications of the WTO Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures
Stanton, Gretchen H.
- The Intersection of Law and Trade in the WTO System: Economics and the Transition to a Hard Law System
Abbott, Frederick M.
- ITC Injury Determination and the Abuse of Antidumping Law: Evidence from the United States Manufacturing Industries
Staiger, Robert W.; Wolak, Frank K.
- National Administered Protection Agencies: Their Role in the Post-Uruguay Round World
Meilke, Karl D.; Sarker, Rakhal
- Nontariff Agricultural Trade Barriers Revisited
Hillmann, Jimmye S.
- The Political Economy of Administered Decisions: What We Might Hope For and What We Can Expect
- The Political Economy of US Import Restrictions on Nursery Stock and Ornamental Plants in Growing Media
Romano, Eduardo; Orden, David